Hope you’re well!
I went out for dinner for NYE with my friends and ordered deep fried halloumi for starter. Halloumi cheese is my absolute favourite, grilled on top of a salad, burger or just on their own! It’s packed full of protein and very low in carbs so I have it regularly as it fits into my diet. Don’t get me wrong, the starter I ordered was amazing but it wasn’t the healthiest as it was deep fried in vegetable oil.
This morning, I woke up craving halloumi and I thought ah I know! I’m going to make my own healthy version! And that’s exactly what I have gone and done 🙂
1 pack Halloumi
1/4 cup Gluten Free Oats
1 Egg White
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1. Blend 1/4 cup of gluten free oats in a blender until it becomes a flour consistency
2. Once blended down, put into a bowl ready to coat the halloumi
3. Cut the halloumi in whatever size you like! I prefer thin strips
4. Put the egg white into a bowl, and one by one coat the halloumi in the egg white and then the oats
5. Place onto a plate whilst you do the others.
6. When they have been coated, heat up a griddle pan with the coconut oil and wait until it is hot
7. Put the halloumi into the pan and fry each side until golden brown
8. Plate up the grilled halloumi and serve as a side with your main, or have as a pre or post workout snack!
These were delicious! I love the salty taste of the cheese with the crispy texture from the oats. The beautiful thing about halloumi is that it doesn’t melt, whatever temperature it gets to! When these chips are cooked, the halloumi melts in your mouth but you must hurry! When halloumi goes cold, it goes all squeaky and isn’t as tasty as when it’s hot. Thats why they call it the squeaky cheese!
This is another simple and tasty recipe that is super healthy so I would encourage anyone to start incorporating this cheese into their diet as an extra source of protein.
Let me know how you get on making them!